Tuesday, February 25, 2014

You Have to Fall to Get Back Up!

My awesome friend, Alyssa, at the finish of her first ultra.
...this is what I kept telling myself as I lick my wounds after completely being laid out on the trail this morning.  Picture this:  I am daydreaming about the hill repeats I am about to conquer when I trip and sprawl completely flat on the trail.  Legs out, arms out, chin smacked upon the ground.  As I push myself up I realize that I got off pretty darn easy.  My hands are 99% ok, my chin is not bleeding (though my brain was quite jostled), and it would appear that the worst thing that happened is that I am covered chin to knee in dirt (not mud!- another bonus).  Then it came to me:

You have to fall to get back up.

Specifically, you have to put yourself in situations where you may fall, or miss success, in order to grow as a person.  We have all been there.  Think of the first time you ran.  Personally, I cannot remember that far back, but we all had to go from a place of security (constant foot contact with the ground) to accepting a period of no security in the flight stage of running.  We have succeeded and now look at us!

I decided to share what I learned this morning:
  1. Pearl Izumi tights DO NOT spontaneously combust upon contact.
  2. A good hit to your pride is good once in awhile, it is how you carry yourself afterward that counts.
  3. Trail running is good for your ego, and your overall personality.  Trail running makes you overcome adversity almost every time you go!
Random aside: My right hand is jacked on the palm AND the back side.  One of the wonders of the world...

I would really like to hit this one point home:  I also find it absolutely hilarious that I was thinking about how I was going to conquer my hill repeats when I went down... I thought I have trail angel karma... I guess I'll save it for later.

Stay in good humor, my friends.

2 comments:

Debbie and Lane said...

Glad you're okay!

Breein Clark said...

Love#2!!!!
Misty fell in a horse manure filled creek once... Forrest and I nearly peed our pants laughing. Misty totally lived it too! Laughing at yourself shows character