Friday, February 28, 2014

Foto Friday, Contest, and Food

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This one speaks many, many more don't you think?

Let's caption this baby. Leave your submission here on the blog, not on the Facebook link. Winner will be chosen and announced next Friday.

Jared models the Jackarff

Winner will receive a four pack of Moab's Johnny's IPA or Root beer if you prefer.



And finally a recipe. This is the one I used to make my post Moab race feast.

Adapted from Smittenkitchen.com

Pumpkin Waffles
Adapted from several sources

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (I used much less than this, the original recipe calls for brown sugar)
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 large eggs, separated
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk (If you don't have buttermilk - add 1TBS lemon juice per cup of milk and let stand for a few minutes)
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin (plain pumpkin - not the pumpkin pie filling)
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
Vegetable oil for brushing waffle iron or cooking spray (I find this step unnecessary, but I suppose that depends on  your waffle iron).

Preheat oven to 250°F and preheat waffle iron. Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl with buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients just until combined.
In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks (as in, far softer than the over-beaten whites you’ll see in my picture above). Folk them gently into the waffle batter, until just combined.
Brush waffle iron lightly with oil and spoon batter (about 2 cups for four 4-inch Belgian waffles) into waffle iron, spreading quickly. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Transfer waffles to rack in oven to keep warm and crisp. Make more waffles in same manner.

28 comments:

Manners said...

"I have Bieber Fever Baby!"

Manners said...

Yo Lane- come get some!"

Manners said...

"You think the Red Rocks were hard, come feel these abs.- BOOM!"

lindsay lauck said...

It lifts AND separates!

Manners said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ultrajim said...

"Not everyone can pull this look off, I can."

Manners said...

"Hey Breein, I found your white thongs"

ultrajim said...

"My arms were cold"

Debbie and Lane said...

Bend annnnnnd Snap!

Debbie and Lane said...

and all the girlies say I'm pretty fly for a white guy

Jeremy Achter said...

See Breein, I told you, this is not appropriate winter running apparel. My nipples are frozen (probably need to be amputated) and my shoulders are hot. Sometimes I enjoy wearing your clothes, but not this time.

Lane Farka said...

Quick to the choooopppppppaa!

Jeremy Achter said...

Sweet. This will look great with my spandex, ass-less chaps. You know, the ones I wore on the donkey with the spurs on my running shoes.

Jeremy Achter said...

"O.K., where's that damn elephant? Let's get this proctology exam over with.

Ryan Lauck said...

business upstairs, party in the basement!

jarrod garr said...

Damn it Joel now my favorite shirt don't fit.

Curtis said...

The risk I took was calculated, but man I am bad at math.

Lane Farka said...

The best party is he was surrounded by dudes and beers when this went down..ha!

Curtis said...

I gotta feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night
That tonight's gonna be a good night
That tonight's gonna be a good good night

Curtis said...

'Cause my style's like a chemical spill

Harry said...

Breein, where are my bikini bottoms? I'm ready to race!

ultrajim said...

Breein, how many times have I told you not to wash my clothes in hot water?

Curtis said...

He's licking his lips, he's ready to win, on the hunt tonight for love at first sting

Curtis said...

My threads are fresh and I'm lookin' def, yo

Breein Clark said...

Sometimes I get drunk and jackarf in public.

Breein Clark said...

Yes, that one is baaaad ...but I had worse up my sleeve (my defense)

Breein Clark said...

Harrison, don't you still have those?

Harry said...

Yes, all I need is your jackarf to complete the outfit.